The Social Worker's Role for Cancer Patients
Social workers work alongside your clinical team and can be helpful during significant transitions in your healthcare journey. Some of these transitions may include a new diagnosis, change in treatment, post-treatment survivorship, or end-of-life care. Some of the services they offer include:
- Performing an assessment to determine "barriers of care"
- Collaborating with your healthcare team and community to ensure your mental well-being, social, practical, and resource needs are met
- Identifying and outlining your healthcare goals or needs before, during, and after the treatment process
- Resource coordination, including the facilitation of support groups
- Financial counseling
- Psychosocial-emotional-spiritual support
- Liaison, coach, and mentor
Meet the Virginia Oncology Associates Social Workers
Roshonda Poole, MSW, CDP
Roshonda serves the Southside offices including Chesapeake, Norfolk, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, and Elizabeth City, NC. She can be reached at (757) 466-8683.
Megan Fortner, BSW
Megan serves the Peninsula offices including Hampton, Newport News and Williamsburg. Currentely, she is helping Roshonda with our Western Tidewater offices, including Chesapeake and Suffolk. She can be reached at (757) 873-9400.
What to expect during your visit with the oncology social worker?
During your first appointment we spend time getting to know you. We will complete a needs and strength assessment where we identify what strengths and needs you are experiencing. We celebrate the strengths you and your family bring and we create a personalized care plan to assist you in meeting any needs. Some of the needs that we commonly identify and assist with are:
- Financial concerns (e.g., medical bills, utilities, rent, etc.)
- Insurance Barriers
- Limitations to independently perform activities of daily living care (e.g., bathing, dressing, cooking, etc.)
- Self-Image/emotional or mental health (e.g., support groups/outpatient counseling/psychiatrist)
- Personal relationships/family dynamics/caregiver support
- Advanced Care Planning – documenting your healthcare wishes